When it comes to eating healthy, there are a lot of different opinions out there. Some people swear by cutting out all meat and subsisting on a vegetarian or vegan diet, while others believe that the key to good health is eating as many animal products as possible. The thing is, there is no one right answer here - it all depends on what works for you. But that being said, one food that most experts agree is beneficial for your health is fish. Here are 5 reasons why you should add fish to your diet!
1) A Great Source of Protein Fish is an excellent source of protein - and lean protein at that! Lean proteins help to build and maintain muscle strength, which can improve your overall health. Fish is also lower in saturated fat than meats like beef or pork, which can help you maintain a healthy weight.
2) Packed with Nutrients Fish is chock full of essential nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids, iodine, potassium, and selenium. These all have an important role to play in your overall health:
By including fish in your diet, you are ensuring that you’re getting all of these important nutrients.
- Omega-3s are especially beneficial for heart health and can help to reduce inflammation in the body
- Iodine helps to support healthy brain function and a strong immune system
- Potassium helps to regulate your blood pressure
3) Easy to Prepare Fish is incredibly easy to prepare, making it a great option for busy nights or quick meals. It can be quickly grilled, pan-fried, baked, or even steamed. Plus, there are so many different types of fish to choose from, you’re bound to find something your family will love. For example, if your family isn't a huge fan of an overly fishy-tasting fish, then you can try a milder-tasting fish like tilapia or cod. These will still give you the same great health benefits, without the strong flavour.
4) Versatile Fish isn't just a one-trick pony in the kitchen - it can be used in a variety of different dishes. From tacos and burgers to curries and salads, there are endless possibilities when it comes to using fish in your cooking. You can mix and match different types of fish with a variety of flavours and seasonings, ensuring that you won't get bored of the same old meals.
5) Low in Calories Fish is low in calories, making it ideal for those trying to watch their weight. A 4-ounce serving of cooked fish contains only about 120 calories, which makes it a great choice if you’re trying to cut back on calories and boost your nutrient intake.
The Bottom Line As you can see, there are a variety of reasons to add fish to your diet. Not only is it packed with protein and essential nutrients, but it's also incredibly easy to prepare, versatile, and low in calories. So if you're looking for a healthy way to get more nutrients and stay slim, consider adding fish to your weekly meal plan. It just might be the answer you've been looking for! Looking for some healthy fish-related options on your next night out? We’ve got you covered! Click here to check out the Sõl Kitchen menu, and drop by for a bite today.