If you're looking for a vegetable that tastes delicious and packs a nutritional punch, beets might be just the thing you need. These root vegetables are making waves in the health world, with many people hailing them as a superfood. But are they really that good for you? In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of beets, and whether they deserve the superfood label. Let’s dive in!
1. Nutrient-rich Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals that are essential for our health. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, potassium, and folate, as well as fibre. Each can benefit our health in different ways:
As you can see, beets really are a nutritional powerhouse!
- Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that helps to protect cells from damage,
- Potassium is essential for heart health.
- Folate is important for pregnant women, as it helps to reduce the risk of birth defects.
- Fibre helps to keep our digestive system healthy and can also help to lower cholesterol levels.
2. Improved Athletic Performance Beetroot juice is a popular supplement among athletes because it has been shown to improve performance during exercise. This is thought to be due to the nitrates in beets, which can help to reduce the amount of oxygen needed during exercise. This means that athletes can exercise for longer and with less fatigue.
3. Lower Blood Pressure Research has also shown that consuming beets or beetroot juice can help to lower blood pressure. This is because of the nitrates in beets, which are converted into nitric oxide in the body. See, nitric oxide is a natural vasodilator, which means that it helps to relax the blood vessels and improve blood flow. This in turn can help to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
4. Anti-inflammatory Properties Beets also have anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to the phytonutrients they contain. Chronic inflammation is linked to a range of health problems, including heart disease and cancer, so it's important to consume foods that can help to reduce inflammation. Fortunately, beets are an excellent source of betalains, which are anti-inflammatory compounds that can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
5. Detoxification Agent Finally, beets are thought to be a natural detoxification agent, thanks to their high levels of antioxidants and fibre. The antioxidants in beets can help to neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, while the fibre helps to support the liver and digestive system in removing toxins from the body.
The Bottom Line So, are beets a superfood? Based on the research, it certainly seems that way! Beets are a nutrient-rich vegetable that can help to improve athletic performance, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and aid in detoxification. So, whether you're an athlete looking to boost your performance or simply want to improve your overall health, beets are definitely worth adding to your diet. Your body will thank you! If you’re looking for a delicious way to eat more beets, try our Kolapore Smoked Trout Salad or Wonderland Sõl Salad! You can learn more about them on the Sõl Kitchen menu here, and then drop by for eat-in or takeout today.