Embarking on a Paleo diet journey doesn't mean you have to give up the joy of dining out! With a few smart strategies, you can savour delicious meals while staying true to your Paleo principles. In this guide, we'll explore five invaluable tips for eating out on Paleo that will keep you on track and satisfied.
1) Do Your Restaurant Homework Before heading out for a meal, take a moment to research your dining options. Many restaurants now offer Paleo-friendly dishes, and some even have dedicated Paleo menus. It’s usually best to check their website or call ahead to inquire about their menu offerings. This step ensures that you won't be caught off guard when you arrive, and you can choose a restaurant that aligns with your dietary needs.
2) Be Mindful of Ingredients When eating out on Paleo, pay close attention to the ingredients used in each dish. Whenever possible, opt for grilled or roasted meats and fish, as these are often prepared without added sugars or processed oils. If you’re unsure about a particular dish, feel free to ask questions about cooking methods and ingredients to ensure that your meal stays true to the Paleo diet principles. However, it’s usually safe to avoid breaded or fried items, as they tend to contain grains and unhealthy fats.
3) Customize Your Order Don't hesitate to customize your meal to fit your Paleo preferences! Since many people follow a special diet for one reason or another these days, most restaurants are willing to accommodate special requests. For example, you can ask for your meal to be prepared without butter or other dairy products, and request extra vegetables or a side salad instead of grains or potatoes. By being proactive and clear about your dietary needs, you can enjoy a satisfying Paleo-friendly meal.
4) Watch Out for Hidden Sugars Sugar can sneak its way into restaurant dishes, even when you least expect it. It’s especially important to be cautious of sauces, dressings, and condiments, as they often contain added sugars. If you do need a little something on your salad, for example, you can always ask for olive oil and vinegar as a simple and safe dressing option. It can also help to ask for sauces and dressings on the side, so you have better control over how much you use.
5) Stay Hydrated and Satisfied Sometimes, restaurants may not offer many Paleo-friendly options. In such cases, focus on staying hydrated with water or herbal tea while you enjoy a small appetizer or salad. This ensures that you're not overly hungry when your limited Paleo choices arrive, making it easier to stick to your diet.
The Bottom Line Following a Paleo diet can be a rewarding journey, and dining out shouldn't be a roadblock. By doing your restaurant homework, being ingredient-conscious, customizing your order, avoiding hidden sugars, and staying hydrated, you can savour the dining experience while staying true to your Paleo principles. Eating out on Paleo doesn't have to be daunting; with these tips, it can be a delicious adventure that keeps you on track and satisfied. Happy dining! Looking for a restaurant with Paleo-friendly options? If so, you’ve come to the right place! Click here to check out the Sõl Kitchen menu, and stop by for a fresh and flavourful meal today.