If you're like most people, you probably start your day with a cup of tea or coffee. But did you know that drinking lemon water in the morning has some amazing health benefits? Here are 5 reasons why you should start your day with a glass of lemon water.
1. Hydrate Your Body Water may be the best drink for hydration, but a lot of people have trouble fitting it into their daily routine. It can be difficult when there's so many other, more delicious choices, don't you think? While it may be tough, it is necessary. Research shows that men should get 125 ounces of water a day, and women 91 ounces. That's a lot of water! However, it can be especially difficult to hit those marks if you don't like the taste. You may find that adding lemon to your water improves the flavor, which may encourage you to drink more. You've got to hit those hydration goals somehow!
2. Boost Weight Loss Lemon water can also help you slim down. One study found that those who consumed a low-calorie diet with 16.91 ounces of water before meals had lost significantly more weight than those who didn't drink the water. This could be because drinking water helps to fill you up, so you eat less. While this study focused on regular water, the results are more than likely to apply to lemon water too. A tasty, refreshing way to help you lose a few extra pounds? What's not to like!
3. Add More Vitamin C to Your Diet Everyone can benefit from a little extra vitamin C in their diet. And if you're not getting it from another source, you can get it from lemon water. Lemons are a good source of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that can help prevent free radicals from damaging your cells. Vitamin C can also help reduce your risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease, and can even help lower your blood pressure. That extra vitamin C can certainly be worth it at the end of the day!
4. Improve Digestion Drinking lemon water in the morning can help improve your digestion. As previously mentioned, lemon is a great source of vitamin C, which is essential for healthy digestion. It also contains other important nutrients like potassium, which can be beneficial for gut health. Lemon water can even help loosen up stools and prevent constipation. It may also help to soothe an upset stomach or nausea. If you're struggling with digestive issues, adding lemon water to your routine could be just what you need!
5. Prevent Bad Breath Believe it or not, lemon water can also help freshen your breath. This is because it can prevent dry mouth, which is one of the main causes of bad breath. See, the lemon stimulates saliva production while the water promotes hydration, and this combination can really stop dry mouth in its tracks. If you're using lemon water for breath-freshening purposes, consider drinking it after your meals throughout the day for best results. After all, bad breath isn't just limited to the morning! Looking for some other healthy options? Check out our menu at Sõl Kitchen, and drop by for a nutritious meal today!