It can be tough to make healthy eating habits last. We all know that we should be eating more fruits and vegetables, and fewer processed foods, but actually following through with that knowledge is a different story. It's all too easy to get sidetracked or fall back into bad habits. But the good news is that it's not impossible to create healthy eating habits that will stick! In this blog post, we will discuss five tricks to help you make healthy eating habits last for the long haul. Keep reading for some great tips!
1) Start Small One of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to create healthy eating habits is starting off with too much too soon. Trying to go from a junk-food diet to a strict diet of only healthy foods can be overwhelming and unsustainable. Instead, start off small by making one or two simple changes each week. Maybe you start eating an extra serving of vegetables at dinner or swapping out sugary snacks for healthier alternatives. Small changes over time can add up to big results!
2) Set Realistic Goals It's always important to set realistic goals for yourself when it comes to healthy eating. Don't set yourself up for failure by setting unattainable goals. It's okay to aim high, but make sure that your goals are achievable. For example, you might set a goal to eat more fruits and vegetables each day, but don't promise yourself that you won't ever eat any unhealthy foods. Instead, focus on finding balance in your diet.
3) Planning is Key Planning ahead can make all the difference when it comes to healthy eating habits. Spend some time each week planning out your meals and snacks for the following days. This will help you stick to healthy eating throughout the week, as you won't be tempted to grab unhealthy snacks out of convenience. You can also take this time to prepare healthy meals in advance, so that you have an easy and nutritious option available when hunger strikes.
4) Have Healthy Snacks on Hand Having healthy snacks on hand will help you stay satiated throughout the day and prevent you from reaching for unhealthy options. Stock up on some of your favourite healthy snacks, such as nuts, fruit, or air-popped popcorn. This way, you'll have something nutritious and delicious to munch on when hunger strikes.
5) Avoid Fast Food When Eating Out Eating out can be a challenge when it comes to healthy eating. When you're dining out, try to avoid fast food restaurants as much as possible. Instead, opt for restaurants that offer healthier options, such as salads, grilled chicken, and plant-based proteins. Try and make good choices when it comes to your sides, too. It's easy to go for the French fries or the chips and salsa, but healthier side dishes such as steamed vegetables or a light salad can make all the difference.
The Bottom Line By making small changes and setting realistic goals, you can make healthy eating habits last for the long haul. Planning ahead, having healthy snacks on hand, and avoiding fast food restaurants when eating out are all great strategies to help you make the most of your healthy eating habits. With a bit of dedication and effort, you can start making healthy eating part of your everyday life! Looking for healthier options when eating out? We’ve got you covered! Check out the Sõl Kitchen menu here, and drop by for one of our healthy, flavourful meals today.