You should eat more seeds. Yes, you read that right! While we often overlook these tiny pieces of nature, seeds are actually packed with nutrients that are essential for our bodies. Whether you sprinkle them on your smoothie bowl, incorporate them into your salad, or simply snack on a handful, seeds are an incredibly versatile and healthy ingredient. Here are 5 reasons why you should include more seeds in your diet today.
1. A Rich Source of Healthy Fats Seeds are a great source of healthy fats, such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which play a vital role in maintaining our overall health. These healthy fats can lower the risk of developing various chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. Some of the best seeds to include in your diet are flaxseeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. These seeds are not only high in healthy fats but also in antioxidants, protein, fibre, and minerals, which makes them a no-brainer for a healthy diet.
2. May Help with Weight Management If you're struggling to maintain a healthy weight, seeds can be your secret weapon. Not only do they provide a feeling of satiety and keep you feeling fuller for longer, but they can also help reduce inflammation and improve your gut health. These benefits can help boost metabolism, reduce cravings, and make it easier for you to stick to a healthy eating plan. So next time you're feeling snacky, instead of grabbing a bag of chips, opt for a handful of seeds!
3. Can Improve Brain Function Did you know that seeds can improve your brain function? That's right! If you need another reason to eat more seeds, then you should know that these tiny powerhouses can enhance cognitive function, boost memory, and improve focus and concentration. This is because seeds contain a variety of nutrients that are essential for brain health, including magnesium, zinc, vitamin E, and B-complex vitamins. Including more seeds in your diet could be just what you need to stay sharp and focused.
4. Helps Strengthen Bones As we age, our bones become more prone to fractures and breaks, which can affect our mobility and overall quality of life. But seeds can help prevent this issue by providing us with essential bone-strengthening nutrients, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin D. These nutrients work together to strengthen bones, improve bone density and prevent the risk of osteoporosis. So if you're looking to stay active and mobile well into your senior years, be sure to add more seeds to your diet.
5. Reduce the Risk of Chronic Diseases Finally, seeds can help protect us against chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer. This is because seeds are packed with polyphenols, antioxidants, and fibre, which can help reduce inflammation, regulate blood sugar levels and prevent cellular damage. If you want to promote overall health and well-being, then it definitely can’t hurt to up your seed intake!
The Bottom Line There you have it! Five compelling reasons why you should eat more seeds. Whether you're looking to boost your brain power, maintain a healthy weight, or protect against chronic diseases, seeds are an excellent addition to any diet. So next time you're considering your meal options, consider ones that may pair well with seeds. And if you're feeling adventurous, try incorporating new types of seeds into your diet regularly. Your body will thank you for it! Pumpkin seeds are a favourite here at Sõl Kitchen! Find them in a variety of meals on our menu here.